Friday, February 3, 2012

My Fun Finds & French Onion Soup Recipe


Last week I wrote about a few of the new decorating deals I found. As a single income family luxury is not a word normally in our vocabulary. But I have found that when I have a desire that goes along with our vision for our home and family, and I leave it to Him, God often provides just what I want. So, with that in mind, here are my new home decor finds, just in time for Valentine's Day!





 I have been wanting one of these heart mugs for quite awhile, but at a normal price of about 10.00 each, I have not had one. Until now. Recently on a trip to one of our favorite thrift stores I found my longed for red, heart shaped mug for a delicious price of .58! Yes, you read that correctly. .58. Of course I couldn't pass it up, and I have been enjoying my tea in it daily. I don't know about you, but when I get a new tea cup or mug I love to drink from it. Soon enough I will go back to rotating between my others. Depending on mood of course!




Here is the beautiful little ramekin I found, although it's not so little, it is a nice hearty size for a bowl of soup. These usually retail for 4.00 so I was very happy to find it, brand new, still in the box with the label on, for only 2.00, with it's plastic lid! My husband will certainly enjoy his french onion soup in this cute little rami.




Here is the stoneware pie plate! I love it so much!! It also was brand new with the label still firmly attached. Normal retail for this little find, 9.99. My price: 3.00! They had two and I wish I had bought the other one, but with both space and budget stretched tight I guess I did the right thing. I just can't help but think of baking two different pies in their matching red pans though!

So, obviously the steal of this story is my heart mug! But I do love all three beautiful red new additions to our home. Perhaps next time I will share the pictures along with something in the pans.

Here is the recipe I use for my husband's fave French Onion Soup which I have adapted from many different recipes I've found.. It is super easy. The longest part is carmelizing the onions.





FRENCH ONION SOUP

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Butter
2 lb Yellow Onions, sliced approx 1/2" wide (I normally use about 4 onions)
2 Quarts Beef Stock
1/8 tsp Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 Ounces Gruyere Cheese (or your favorite cheese)
4 Slices of a Nice Yummy Bread

Directions:

Melt butter in either a heavy bottom pot, or a nice deep cast iron pan, over medium-low heat, add sliced onions and sprinkle a couple of pinches of salt to help them sweat out the moisture. Cook the onions over medium-low heat stirring very often until they brown. We like them carmelized. When the onions are nice and caramely, add the beef stock, the sprig of thyme, a little salt and pepper, turn down heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.

While the soup is simmering toast your slices of bread. (I like to butter them, sprinkle a little parmesan on them and put them under the broiler for a few seconds, but it's just as yummy with plain toasted bread)

Pour the soup into indivdual crocks, put toasted bread on top of soup and sprinkle cheese on top. Place crocks on a cookie sheet to catch any spillover and put them under the broiler until the cheese melts.

(note: you can leave out the salt if you need to, the soup is plenty yummy without it and I often don't use it, but most all recipes call for it.)

I hope you enjoy this as much as my hubby does.

Be blessed!



No comments:

Post a Comment