Saturday, April 27, 2013

Step Up and March! Choosing Courage Over Fear




I am so thankful that God gives us what we need. But do we really take that gift when He gives it to us? Do we open it up, study it, use it and let it make a change in us? Or do we let it sit on a shelf collecting dust like a knick knack? 

When I went through a confirmation class 22 years ago, this was the verse our pastor gave me. Of course it registered with me then, but I let it sit on a shelf for many years, collecting dust. At times over the course of my life I have taken it and dusted it off and played with it a little, but I have never really opened it up and made it mine. I have never made it part of my daily life.

But God is calling me to finally, finally, dust this verse off, take it off the shelf and accept the gift He has given me. He is calling me to finally step out and live the life He has called me to. No more time to sit on the sidelines and watch the parade of life go by thinking, someday I will march in that parade. No. No more. Now is the time that God has said, enough, step it up and start marching.

He reminded me this morning that, "Courage is not the absence of fear. Fear is a natural response. Courage is just not allowing fear to control us." I have struggled with fear most of my life and sadly, I have allowed it to control me most of my life. But through God's strength I keep taking a stand against it and will continue to fight not to let it control me until either it dies or I do. I am thankful that God promises that He will be with me through the battle against fear. "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid for I, the Lord, am with you." That is said so many times throughout scripture and in so many different ways.

This is not the first time in my life I've had to stand back up in the battle against fear, it's just the latest go round. Having my surgery was a huge step in the fight for me. If you are struggling with fear in your life, I really want to encourage you too, to take a stand, with God's help, for we can't do it alone!

If you need prayer in this area let me know

Blessings,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment